[l2h] LaTeX2HTML-2K for Win32: thanks, and a question

Ross Moore ross@ics.mq.edu.au
Fri, 2 Mar 2001 09:42:36 +1100 (EST)

> I have recently installed latex2html-2K.1beta and MiKTeX 2.0 on
> a PC running Windows NT4, following the excellent instructions
> in the guide written by Luis Seidel Gomez de Quero and Steve
> Mayer (version 1.4 February 2000).  I am running ActivePerl
> 5.6.0.623.

Is there an easy URL for this, to link to from various L2H sites?

> The installation was straightforward (thanks to the step-by-step
> instructions). I am successfully processing quite complicated
> LaTeX files into HTML webs and I would like to thank everyone
> who has contributed to LaTeX2HTML, and especially its Win32
> implementation, for their work in producing and documenting
> the package.
>
> I have however run into one problem, which may be a minor bug,
> or a misconfiguration by me.

Perhaps, and if so then there may be a way to make it easier.

> I normally process my LaTeX files to .dvi keeping any included
> .eps graphics in the same input directory as my .tex source.
> When converting the same .eps graphics into .gif images,
> latex2html-2K.1beta is looking for them only in the output
> subdirectory (where it writes images.tex), not in the input

> directory. This makes it necessary to copy the .eps input files
> into the output subdirectory before running latex2html, or to
> run it with $NO_SUBDIR = 1; (both work around the issue, but
> running with the default settings and all of my .tex and .eps
> files in the same input directory fails because latex2html
> cannot find the .eps files during the image conversion step).

Are you using  \includegraphics from the graphics/graphicx
LaTeX packages ?
This has code to take into account that extra directory level.

Another way, at least under Unix, is to make symbolic links
of the .eps files into the working directory.
This is quick and reliable, and takes no extra disk space.

> I would like to be able to write the output files into their own
> subdirectory (as latex2html does by default), without having to
> copy the input graphics into that subdirectory before running
> latex2html.  I did not see this behavior when running an earlier
> version of latex2html under Linux.  I am wondering if this is
> a known "issue" in the current Win32 version, or whether I may
> have failed to configure something correctly in my Win32
> latex2html setup.

Yet another way is to set a graphics search path variable.
This would depend upon the particular TeX implementation
(and also dvips, since both need to find the files).
Because of this variability between platforms, there is no attempt
to do this by LaTeX2HTML, but you could try it for yourself.

You can set environment variables within the .latex2html-init
file for your job. (Certainly this works for Unix; with NT, I don't
have the relevant experience, sorry.)