[l2h] latex2html losing

Ross Moore Ross Moore <ross@ics.mq.edu.au>
Fri, 3 Nov 2000 17:49:34 +1100 (EST)

> I had the same problem when using l2h version 99.2 beta 8. I did not seem
> to get my figures included, even though my log file told me l2h converted
> them. When looking in my destination directory I discovered that what
> should have been GIF images of my included figures where symbolic links to
> a file "image.gif", a stub. All GIF images of equations were OK though.
> I solved the problem by switching back to version 99.1, which I installed
> from an RPM. That works flawlessly!

This sounds like the configuration wasn't run correctly,
since clearly the image-generation software is available,
as it works with  version 99.1 , but it isn't being used
with  l2h version 99.2 beta 8 .

Run a job requiring some image-generation, using:

   latex2html -debug  <jobname>.tex

The resulting messages should indicate where things start
to go wrong.

Assuming LaTeX does its thing, and also GhostScript,
then most likely cause of an error is with the software
to make the bitmapped images; either in GIF or PNG format.

Go to the directory from which the installation was performed,
and have a look at:  cfgcache.pm

If there is a line:

$cfg{'IMAGE_TYPES'} = q'gif';

then there will need to be non-empty entries also for the following:

$cfg{'PNMCAT'} = q'/usr/local/bin/pnmcat';
$cfg{'PNMCROP'} = q'/usr/local/bin/pnmcrop';
$cfg{'PNMFILE'} = q'/usr/local/bin/pnmfile';
$cfg{'PNMFLIP'} = q'/usr/local/bin/pnmflip';
$cfg{'PPMQUANT'} = q'/usr/local/bin/ppmquant';
$cfg{'PPMTOGIF'} = q'/usr/local/bin/ppmtogif';

and

$cfg{'gif_interlace'} = q'netpbm';
$cfg{'gif_trans'} = q'netpbm';

But if you have:

$cfg{'IMAGE_TYPES'} = q'png';

then you need the software for creating PNG images,
so that the following needs a non-empty entry:

$cfg{'PNMTOPNG'} = q'';
                    ^^---- this is empty, so PNG images cannot be created.

If something is wrong/missing, do a re-configure
e.g.
  configure  --enable-gif
or
  configure --enable-png