[l2h] using images

Ross Moore Ross Moore <ross@ics.mq.edu.au>
Thu, 8 Jun 2000 13:13:22 +1000 (EST)

> I have some trouble using images png with latex2html 99.2beta6 without
> conversion. I have all images in png format since I used pdflatex to
> create pdf documents. Now I want to create html documents with the same
> source file. The png file should be copied to the target directory and
> should be included in the html file. The html.sty file will not
> recognize the included png files directly so I take a look if I can
> change it. Since I'm totally new to tex hacking I found no starting
> point. Can someone give me a hint where I should start ?

LaTeX2HTML was developed independently to pdflatex.
Being based upon LaTeX there is an implicit assumption that
included graphics will be in .eps form,
so that they can be rendered by Ghostscript.

However this does *not* mean that .png graphics cannot be used.
Until I (or someone else) devise a better strategy,
you will have to use "conditional code" such as:

\begin{latexonly}
 \includegraphics{theimage.png}
\end{latexonly}
\htmladdimg{../theimage.png}
%           ^^^ --- adjust the path appropriately

The \htmladdimg command is defined in  html.sty
so you must have \usepackage{html} in the preamble.

There are optional arguments available for \htmladdimg .
Consult LaTeX2HTML documentation to find what is possible.

You can give a complete path to the image *provided it is within
the file-system known to the web-server*, or you can copy
it to another location.
LaTeX2HTML will *not* copy images automatically
 --- generally there is no need; a hyperlink suffices.