[l2h] Bug: Changing page counter can create blank inline math formulae in Version 99.1 release

Ross Moore Ross Moore <ross@ics.mq.edu.au>
Fri, 25 Feb 2000 09:51:07 +1100 (EST)

> Hi folks,

Hello Robert, thanks for the report.

The problem you mention does not occur with the v99.2 versions,
which can be obtained from:

http://saftsack.fs.uni-bayreuth.de/~latex2ht/

I don't recall just which bug-fix cured that problem,
which was almost certainly a symptom of something else.

As a piece of general advice, whenever you have LaTeX code that
is clearly irrelevant to the HTML translation
(e.g. HTML pages do not correspond in any way to the numbering of printed pages)
then it is a good idea to use the special "conditional comments";

e.g.
\begin{document}
%begin{latexonly}
\addtocounter{page}{1}
%end{latexonly}

While being transparent to LaTeX, with LaTeX2HTML all the material
within  %begin{latexonly} .... %end{latexonly} is ignored completely.

When you do this assiduously, then it can not be possible for something
that is quite irrelevant to the HTML translation to have mysterious
side-effects on that translation.

Note also, that by loading  \usepackage{html}
there are other "conditional" environments: \begin{htmlonly} ,  \begin{latexonly}
for providing alternative material, appropriate just to one or other
of the translation engines.
The LaTeX2HTML Manual gives much more information on these environments.

> I hope having reported this bug to this list, some kind soul will fix
> the code for later releases. (I didn't see this bug already reported,

I believe it is already fixed; thanks anyway, for the report.