[l2h] \htmlsetstyle / css file question

Ross Moore Ross Moore <ross@ics.mq.edu.au>
Tue, 22 Feb 2000 08:04:30 +1100 (EST)

> have any effect at all.  And, it seems that text after displaymath
> isn't in a <P> </P> block at all, so none of these lines has any
> effect on the line spacing (I can provide an example if this isn't
> right) in that case.

Yes, this is the result you get currently from LaTeX2HTML.
There is not a lot of analysis for the structure of paragraph tags.
It is not an easy problem, but one that needs to be solved
for a proper generator of XML, in which everything should be
tagged, with both starting and closing tags.

However, HTML is rather limited, which creates logical difficulties.
For example:

Here is some text with a math display
$$
a^2+b^2=c^2
$$
and some text following after.

How many paragraphs are there ?  Surely just one,
with the display being part of it.

But valid XML would demand two <P>....</P> taggings.
and similarly in HTML if all the text were to be
inside <P> tags, (e.g. to apply CSS rules as you want).
Doing this would mean that indents at the beginning of
paragraphs would be applied after the display as well
as before, but that is clearly wrong.

The current translation by LaTeX2HTML simply leaves out
any tags after the display, allowing the browser to just
set the text as it comes.
This is valid in HTML (but not in XML),
and looks fine, until you start to apply CSS styles.

I stopped working on aspects of LaTeX2HTML concerning CSS
over a year ago, since there was insufficient browser support
to do anything definite. Effects were handled differenly with different
browsers, or not supported at all.
Perhaps the latest versions do a better job ?

You are welcome to explore these issues, with the aim of having
a new translation mode with better CSS support.

If you can develop a coherent set of rules/guidelines,
then I'd be happy to try to implement it.
Better yet, there may be others who are also thinking about
these things and are willing to tackle the problem.