[l2h] Problem with \bibname

Ross Moore Ross Moore <ross@ics.mq.edu.au>
Thu, 13 Apr 2000 07:45:55 +1000 (EST)

> Maybe I'm missing something here...
>
> I think the problem has to do with this bit of code from natbib.perl:
>
>     if (defined &do_cmd_bibname) {
> 	$title = &translate_commands('\bibname');
>     } else { $title = $bib_title }

Yes, that is exactly where the problem lies.

> Somehow, when it hits that, &do_cmd_bibname has not been defined (yet?).
> That was one reason I put
>
>   \renewcommand{\bibname}{Publication List}
>
> as soon in the .tex file as I could, thinking that it was not being
> defined early enough. Maybe I'm doing something wrong here?

The condition should be:

if (defined &do_cmd_bibname||$renewcommand{'bibname'}) {

The reason is that early versions of LaTeX2HTML simply looked
at $bib_title and  do_cmd_bibname  was never defined,
unless there was a \renewcommand for it.

However later changes to the way \renewcommand works were found
to be necessary in other situations, so that this command
no longer defines  do_cmd_....
Instead it stores information in the  %renewcommand  hash.

Evidently i failed to update  natbib.perl  at the time when
this change was developed.