[l2h] Re: html.sty

Greg Gamble Greg Gamble <gregg@csee.uq.edu.au>
Tue, 26 Oct 1999 14:16:29 +1000 (EST)

On Mon, 25 Oct 1999, David Smead wrote:
> Opps,
>
> I should have told you I'm running 98.2 beta 6.

All the better ... this should mean that your html.sty is up-to-date
(but do a:     grep HTMLcode html.sty
and check that your html.sty defines \HTMLcode ... just in case.)

> I didn't find any list of other .sty files in texmf.cnf, so being
> totally confused, the attached is the output from texconfig confall.

No ... that's right. The file texmf.cnf dynamically sets a whole lot of
environment variables so that TeX and friends (LaTeX, BibTeX, MakeIndex,
...) can find all the files they are supposed to. Below I've been
rather verbose ... bear with me, hopefully the verbosity enhances clarity.
The changes you need to make are quite easy. (Believe me!)

CHANGES YOU NEED TO MAKE TO texmf.cnf
#####################################

The main environment variables you are concerned about are:

TEXMF
TEXMFMAIN
TEXMFLOCAL

and maybe TEXMFHOME. The idea is that there are `texmf' directory
trees each containing files that TeX and friends need. Each
`texmf' tree should have the standard TDS (TeX Directory Structure)
... essentially:

    texmf/
      bibtex/
        bib/
        bst/
      .
      .
      tex/
        latex/
        .
        .
        plain/

To read all the details regarding TDS do:   texdoc tds
... or if that doesn't work try:            xdvi `locate tds.dvi`

TEXMFMAIN is the environment variable for the main `texmf' tree
(that's ok ... no need to touch that). You should never touch the
main tree ... if you do and you ever update your teTeX you run the
risk of losing whatever you put there. Put any of your extra .sty
files etc. in your local `texmf' tree, which you may have to create
yourself ... I suggest you create a directory (if it doesn't exist):

/usr/share/texmf.local

Now in texmf.cnf you will find a line starting

% TEXMFLOCAL

... uncomment it and set the variable to be: /usr/share/texmf.local
i.e. that line should now read:

TEXMFLOCAL = /usr/share/texmf.local

Also, lower down in texmf.cnf you will find HOMETEXMF ... if you wish,
uncomment this and change it to read:

HOMETEXMF = $HOME/texmf

... then each user will be able to have their own personal texmf
tree, to store all their .bib files (for BibTeX) and any macros files
... but this choice means you have to keep to TDS ... all LaTeX .sty
files you create for yourself should be in ~smead/texmf/tex/latex (for
example).

Yet lower down in texmf.cnf is the variable TEXMF ... you need to
set this to be:

TEXMF = {!!$TEXMFMAIN,!!$TEXMFLOCAL,$HOMETEXMF}

(if you want your home directory `texmf' tree to be searched as well
i.e. you made the edit to HOMETEXMF suggested above)
... or just

TEXMF = {!!$TEXMFMAIN,!!$TEXMFLOCAL}

(if you don't).

That should be all you need to do to the texmf.cnf.

PUTTING html.sty IN THE LOCAL `texmf' TREE

Your local `texmf' tree `we' decided above was: /usr/share/texmf.local

We need to create a subdirectory structure according to TDS for the
LaTeX2HTML .sty files ... I suggest you do:

   mkdir -p /usr/share/texmf.local/tex/latex/latex2html

Then move (or copy) all the .sty files in the LaTeX2HTML texinputs
directory to: /usr/share/texmf.local/tex/latex/latex2html

Make sure these files are readable to you when you are *not* root:

   cd /usr/share/texmf.local
   chmod -R a+r .
   ls -R . | grep : | sed 's/\(.*\):/chmod a+x \1/' | sh

I have a .cshrc alias

alias rdR "chmod -R a+r \!*;ls -R \!* | grep : | sed
's/\(.*\):/chmod a+x \1/' | sh"

(that should be one line) which allows me to do the above three lines
with:  rdR /usr/share/texmf.local

UPDATE ls-R DATABASES
#####################

Now run (as root):   mktexlsr

Since you didn't have an ls-R database for /usr/share/texmf.local
before ... the file: /usr/share/texmf.local/ls-R
will in fact be created for the first time.

CHECK EVERYTHING WORKS
######################

Do: kpsewhich html.sty
... this should respond with:
/usr/share/texmf.local/tex/latex/latex2html/html.sty
(if you are *not* in a directory that contains the file: html.sty)

Try make-ing the manual.

Of course, if there are hassles with any of the above, get back to me.

  Regards,
  Greg Gamble
Greg Gamble   __________________        mailto:gregg@csee.uq.edu.au
Centre for Discrete Mathematics & Computing    Tel: +61-7 336 52425
Department of Computer Science                 Fax: +61-7 336 54999
      & Electrical Engineering     http://www.csee.uq.edu.au/~gregg
The University of Queensland, Queensland 4072 AUSTRALIA