[l2h] Wrong TITLEs in frames' *_tf.html files, any fix available?

Ross MOORE Ross MOORE <ross@ics.mq.edu.au>
Mon, 17 May 1999 11:12:59 +1000 (EST)

> Note, this is also a problem with frame.pl in v99.1, and does not
> appear to have been corrected in the development version.  However,
> to answer my own question; with a bit of brute-force debugging,
> I think I have found the fix: line number 721 in version/frame.pl
> should be changed from:
>
>  $_ = &make_head_and_body($indexname, $MAIN_COLOR, $toc_frameset . $tocframe);

>  $_ = &make_head_and_body($title, $MAIN_COLOR, $toc_frameset . $tocframe);
>
> That is, in the penultimate occurrence of make_head_and_body, the first argument should be $title, and not $indexname.  This fixes the 4 frame
> view TITLE problem for me.

The problem is just a little deeper than this.
The variable $indexname is never defined, anywhere!
It occurs for frame-documents with an Index-view,
and also (erroneously, as you say) for those with a Contents-view.

The real question is:  What should these frameset pages be TITLEd ?

Since the $title  is used already with the HTML pages having the
actual content, then it might be a bad idea to use it again with
the framesets. Might a robot find a frameset page, and reject
the real page, having the same <TITLE> ?
Or might a request to an automatic Index display one page and
not the other, for whatever reason ?

So perhaps the best solution is to use something like:

 $title." (Contents view)";
 $title." (Index view)";

or for consistent internationalisation:

 join('', $title, " ($toc_title)");
 join('', $title, " ($idx_name)");

Comments welcome.

> I have not tested this fix with a document that has an index.

Don't bother -- it'll be wrong too.

Thanks Chris, for locating this lack of detail.

	All the best,

		Ross Moore