[Indic-dev] Acrobat in GNU/Linux [was] Latex Workshop -Pune

H S Rai hsraidce at iitr.ernet.in
Wed Mar 12 17:18:28 CET 2003

Today at 4:47pm +0530 Radhakrishnan CV wrote:

>   I guess, you are using Acrobat in GNU/Linux,

Correct.

>   which is very slow and jerky with respect to page transitions.

Any alternative you aware of.

>   Copy your  pdf to other OS's  like Mac OSX or  Win32, load Acrobat
>   and see, it is excellent and behaves as you expected,

Advocating the use of LaTeX and GNU/Linux and doing all work in it and
then just to show slides in MSwin, will make me feel that I have opted
wrong operating system and softwares. So, I can not do that.  Rather I
will like not to use these effects in my presentation.

>   meaning the jerking is not due to pdfTeX at all.

OK, but strength of chain is governed by weakest link :-(

>   However, the page  transition is a silly gimmick  to impress those
>   audiences who are not concerned about the content.

This  may be  used  to  satisfy ourself,  but  lack  of such  features
discourages new user to work on GNU/Linux. Though other softwares like
OpenOffice may  do its job, but  for LaTex user, pdfTex + Acrobat path
appears to be natural choice rather than OpenOffice.

>   The advantage, I  see using TeX/pdfTeX is that we  get the immense
>   power of  presenting a  math equation  with all  its typographical
>   finesse plus the incremental build up  of an equation or matrix if
>   you use TeXPower, this makes the presentation more communicative.

Thanks for your comments.

--
H.S.Rai    http://www.grex.org/~hsrai | Registered Linux User # 223684
http://counter.li.org/cgi-bin/runscript/display-person.cgi?user=223684