[Indic-dev] Acrobat in GNU/Linux [was] Latex Workshop -Pune

Radhakrishnan CV cvr at river-valley.org
Wed Mar 12 19:27:16 CET 2003

    Rai> Today at 4:47pm +0530 Radhakrishnan CV wrote:
    >> I guess, you are using Acrobat in GNU/Linux,

    Rai> Correct.

    >> which is very slow and jerky with respect to page transitions.

    Rai> Any alternative you aware of.

I'm afraid, no. Acrobat is not free software, if not someone would
have fixed this malady by this time. I have heard that a team of
TeXies led by Ross Moore have reported about 200 bugs to Adobe about
Acrobat and PDF generated with pdfTeX. The present case might be one
among them, let us hope that Adobe will come out with an upgrade soon
fixing all these.

    >> Copy your pdf to other OS's like Mac OSX or Win32, load Acrobat
    >> and see, it is excellent and behaves as you expected,

    Rai> Advocating the use of LaTeX and GNU/Linux and doing all work
    Rai> in it and then just to show slides in MSwin, will make me
    Rai> feel that I have opted wrong operating system and
    Rai> softwares. So, I can not do that.  Rather I will like not to
    Rai> use these effects in my presentation.

I agree. I seldom use Win32 or Mac OSX, but have tested my
presentations in both the OS's to verify the PDF and to find if pdfTeX
does any trick with pdf. Further, as you can imagine, I too am an
ardent supporter of GNU/Linux. I have learnt well to live with it ever
since 1995 and my entire company runs on GNU/Linux.

[...]

    Rai> This may be used to satisfy ourself, but lack of such
    Rai> features discourages new user to work on GNU/Linux. Though
    Rai> other softwares like OpenOffice may do its job, but for LaTex
    Rai> user, pdfTex + Acrobat path appears to be natural choice
    Rai> rather than OpenOffice.

True.

Radhakrishnan