[fptex] ConTeXt perl scripts failing on Win98

George N. White III aa056 at chebucto.ns.ca
Fri Jan 16 14:46:50 CET 2004

On Thu, 15 Jan 2004, Fabrice Popineau wrote:

> > When is is necessary to use explicit paths in backticks?  Why not
> > insist on a proper configuration at the outset rather than trying to
> > "make do" with a broken configuration?  The added complexity increases
> > chances for breakage and makes it harder to do things like supporting
> > spaces in filenames.
>
> Ok, I agree about the problem of \ vs / under Win9X. However on my
> machine, texexec.ini is found "by searching" instead of by kpsewhich.
> That's the reason why I didn't notice the problem at first.

I suspect the only reason I noticed it was because I had a couple systems
(duff hardware or different anti-virus settings?) that were taking
>10 mins. to do the ls -R or the texexec searches -- it was quite a
surprise when I realized that another, identical hardware, Win95 system
does the search in seconds.

> I also agree that the path shouldn't be prepended to the commands in
> all cases. I'll try to clean that up and submit it to Hans.

Thanks - I don't normally use Win32, and the fast systems here run XP, so
I'm not in a position to do much more than simple testing when I can
find a system that isn't being used.

--
George N. White III  <aa056 at chebucto.ns.ca>
  Head of St. Margarets Bay, Nova Scotia, Canada