[fptex] Cannot display PS files in WinDVI

Ivailo Stoyanov istoyanov at freenet.de
Tue Jan 13 10:08:52 CET 2004

Dear Pascal,

now the things are getting more clearer -- THANKS A LOT!!!

> 1) With
>        prologues:=0;
>      in the .mp source file :
>      -- windvi doesn't display the text (and, on my system,
>          windvi stop displaying the remainig pictures of the
>          page)
>      -- using dvips (with a good psfonts.map) provides
>          a .ps file with the text with the right fonts (bitmaps
>          fonts included in the .ps).
>
> 2) With
>       prologues:=2;
>     in the .mp source file :
>     -- windvi display the text but perhaps with wrong fonts
>     -- using dvips provides a .ps file with the text but perhaps
>         with wrong fonts
>     If you want the right fonts you need to have, in the file
>     fontmap of the \gslib directory of ghostcript, the reference
>     to the fonts you use in the .mp source. For exemple, if you
>     use cm fonts, you need to download the fontmap.cmr file
>     (from /ctan/fonts/cm/ps-type1/contrib/), put this file in
>     \gslib and add the line
>     (Fontmap.cmr) .runlibfile
>     at the end of the fontmap file of \gslib.
>     Some explanations are in the begining of the fontmap.gs
>     file of the \gslib directory.

My case is somewhat intermediate -- some of the the graphs appear in the *.dvi file, but when I scroll down and up again, some of them disappear on the way back and vice versa. I've noticed that the problematic PS pictures are these with manipulated font-sizes (i.e. not the standard ones as set by the graphics output). You may see this on the attached jpgs: when I scroll down the document, the problematic figure appears (although incomplete: see ``down.jpg''), but when I scroll up afterwards this picture disappears from the preview (``up.jpg''). As you may see, this situation clearly differs from your description of 1) in the fact that WinDVI displays a readable text, but with (wisible after a great magnification) some bitmap(?) font.

Otherwise I have no problems with dvips -- the output is great, besides some complains at the command prompt about a font that is not in the mapping file: