[fptex] xemacs

Siep Kroonenberg siepo at cybercomm.nl
Sat Nov 8 21:52:03 CET 2003

On Fri, Nov 07, 2003 at 03:05:37PM +0100, Rolf Dieterich wrote:
> So maybe this is a bug report for TeXLive 2003:
>
> The TeXLive 2003 demo CD doesn't work under Windows versions which do not
> have the "Windows Desktop Update" installed. This could be true for PCs with
> Windows 95, some early 98 versions and NT 4.0.
>
> In these cases, running TeX off the CD fails completely without any error
> message. (Starting xemacs with the Windows Explorer by double-clicking yields
> the known error message). So I guess xemacs is responsible for creating some
> temporary directories in the demo mode. Or are there still other programs
> which depend on the presence of the Windows Desktop Update?
>
> How to install the "Windows Desktop Update" (rather weird):
> http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q165/6/95.ASP
>
> Rolf

I read that page. It looked like a pretty frightful series of steps.
Since I'm only running nt4 inside virtual machines (linux/vmware,
osx/vpc) I created instead a fresh vm and installed successively
nt4, sp6 and ie4, which I still had somewhere on cd.  After that,
xemacs would start.

--
Siep Kroonenberg
siepo at cybercomm.nl