[fptex] xemacs

Rolf Dieterich Rolf.Dieterich at gmx.de
Fri Nov 7 15:05:37 CET 2003

So maybe this is a bug report for TeXLive 2003:

The TeXLive 2003 demo CD doesn't work under Windows versions which do not
have the "Windows Desktop Update" installed. This could be true for PCs with
Windows 95, some early 98 versions and NT 4.0.

In these cases, running TeX off the CD fails completely without any error
message. (Starting xemacs with the Windows Explorer by double-clicking yields
the known error message). So I guess xemacs is responsible for creating some
temporary directories in the demo mode. Or are there still other programs
which depend on the presence of the Windows Desktop Update?

How to install the "Windows Desktop Update" (rather weird):
http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q165/6/95.ASP

Rolf