[fptex] xemacs

Fabrice Popineau Fabrice.Popineau at supelec.fr
Thu Nov 6 15:14:57 CET 2003

> When I try to start the win32 xemacs on texlive8 it fails with an
> `Entry Point Not Found' message:

>   The procedure entry point SHEmptyRecycleBinA could not be located in
> the dynamic link library SHELL32.dll.

> Quickview confirms that the entrypoint really isn't there.  The
> Windows version is NT SP6 (or 6a?). Installing IE6 doesn't help;
> borrowing shell32.dll from win2000 makes the system unbootable.

> A standalone xemacs freshly downloaded from xemacs.org didn't have
> this problem.

> I am not a Windows user myself, but sometimes help and advise Windows
> TeX users, and would therefore like to have a look at the tl8 xemacs
> interface, preferably without having to install win2000.

> If this is reproducible by others, then is it going to be fixed in an
> update? Meanwhile, I would be grateful for some advise how to run tl8,
> preferably off the cd, using the standalone xemacs.

This is bad news. I guess you downloaded 21.4 from the net. The 21.5
version tries to dynamically bind this function into emacs lisp. It is
not used per se (afaik, I'll check), it is is just available to emacs
lisp programmer.

So I can recompile xemacs with access disabled to this function (and
I'll try to carefully check the other ones too).

Fabrice