METAFONT mode and resolution of the printer

Prof Brian D Ripley ripley@stats.ox.ac.uk
Thu, 21 Sep 2000 18:35:28 +0100 (BST)

On Thu, 21 Sep 2000, Denis [iso-8859-1] Bitouzé wrote:

> Hi,
>
> it is said, in the fptex0.4's doc, paragraph 4.5 'Configure dvips', that
> the
> METAFONT mode and the resolution of the default printer should be set
> up.
>
>     1) I have no idea of what is the METAFONT mode of my default printer
> (an HP
> Deskjet 895 Cxi).
>     2) The resolution of this printer is said to be:
>             a) for monochrome print:
>                     i) 300*300 in 'Econofast' mode,
>                     ii) 600*600 for normal print,
>                     iii) 600*600 for best print,
>             b) for color print:
>                     i) 300*300 in 'Econofast' mode,
>                     ii) PhotoRet II for normal print,
>                     iii) PhotoRet II for best print.
>     3) My default printer (an HP Deskjet 895 Cxi) seems not to be in the
> file
> modes.mf I found on ftp://ftp.tug.org/tex/modes.mf.

We've got one of those, and drive it with the mode we use for
a 600dpi laser printer (M ljfour, D 600).  It doesn't really matter,
because

1) we almost never use bitmapped fonts.  Our default is to use the
type 1 fonts (*.pfb) and they are mode-independent.  So bitmapped
fonts are used only for a few rare fonts (including our local crest,
and EC fonts if we ever use those).

2) 600dpi and higher printers usually need no metafont adjustments
anyway.