Installing the ai package

Skip Collins collins@aplcomm.jhuapl.edu
Wed, 20 Sep 2000 12:41:21 -0400

Bernd Raichle wrote:
> Forget about these scripts for dvips, latex, and pdflatex (and do
not
> unpack the aifonts package on top of your fpTeX tree, because the
> aifonts directory hierarchy is not fully TDS conformant :-().

Suggestions are welcome :-).

> Using a TDS conformant TeX system like fpTeX it is better to put the
> files into the correct places inside the TDS tree.  For packages
> installed by your own it is recommended to create a local tree,
> e.g. D:/texmf.local/---fptex is creating one for you when installing
> it where all local configuration files are kept.  Inside these local
> tree create subdirectories tex/latex/ai/, fonts/tfm/public/ai/,
> fonts/vf/public/ai/, dvips/encodings/, dvips/config/, doc/fonts/ai/,

The reason I put some files (e.g. cmr10.vf) into nonstandard
directories was to prevent the virtual fonts from being used by
default. If I had put them in the standard location for virtual fonts,
dvips and friends would use them all the time. I needed a way to turn
them off by default, but allow programs to find them when invoked with
the right options. I knew I was breaking TDS, but I did not know a
better way to achieve what I wanted. Again, I am open to suggestions.

sc