half symbols

Prof Brian D Ripley ripley@stats.ox.ac.uk
Tue, 22 Aug 2000 07:00:21 +0100 (BST)

On Mon, 21 Aug 2000 luis@lsu.edu wrote:

> i need somebodys help to a very frustrating  problem ( have wasted
>    hrs in this stupid thing)
>
>   i am using fptex
>
>   Tex (Web2c  7.3.2x) 3.1415 (one of the latest versions of this i suppose)
>
>    I am trying to use Type1 fonts to enhance the readibility of
>    the vugraphs for my class.
>
>    i follow the following steps.
>
>    latex -> dvi -> .ps -> .pdf       (using ps2pdf in the last step)
>
>    when i view the .pdf using  ghostview or  Adobe Acrobat  Reader
>    all see to be ok.

Are you on Windows (this is the fptex list)?  ghostview is a Unix program.
Did you mean that or GSView?

>    when i sent the .pdf to the printer i get half integrals, sum symbols,
>    parenthesis, etc. i tried the distiller (from Acrobat) for the .ps ->
> .pdf
>    step but the problem persisted.

What printer is this?  Are you actually sending pdf to the printer? I doubt
it: are you printing from Acrobat / Acrobat Reader and if so have you got
version 4.05?  Reports of the problem on the pdftex list have all (as far
as I recall) boiled down to problems with printing from specific versions
Acrobat Reader (4.0 as I recall) and specific printers.

Finally, why are you printing the PDF at all?  You had postscript,
and that's designed for printing.

>    i also tried pdflatex to generate the .pdf
>    with some of the vugraphs that did not import graphics.
>    but the problem is the same. indeed, i really do not want to use
>    latexpdf -> .pdf because all my graphics are from splus
>    where i generate .ps files.

On Windows?   S-PLUS has a pdf.graph output device and on Windows it
works a lot better than the postscript output.  (For Unix S-PLUS
postscript output, distilling the figures works fine.)

I have Acrobat 4.05a and fptex 4.0beta1 and this all works for me
on an HP DeskJet 970Cxi and an ancient QMS postscript printer.