half symbols

Skip Collins collins@aplcomm.jhuapl.edu
Tue, 22 Aug 2000 09:50:30 -0400

I will guess that your printer is a laserjet printer using pcl. This printing bug
shows up with some versions of acrobat reader on pcl printers. If your printer
supports it, you could try a postscript driver. Or you could upgrade to the latest
reader which may or may not solve the problem. The bug is caused by faulty handling
of fonts with characters in the 0-31 range. If you care about portability of your pdf
files (e.g. you plan to distribute electronic copies to your students) you probably
want to fix the pdf file so that it avoids the bugs in various versions of acrobat
reader. In that case, if you are using Computer Modern fonts, you could use the -G
option to dvips to remap the lower characters to their higher positions. This is,
however, not good practice, because it can mess up other type 1 fonts. The best way
to avoid the problem is to obtain the aifont set of virtual fonts from ctan, which
achieves the same remapping on a font-by-font basis. (ctan:fonts/cm/aifont)

sc