fptex-0_3beta1.exe

Bob Howlett bobh@maths.usyd.edu.au
Thu, 04 Mar 1999 16:45:03 +1100

Dear fp-tex people,

I have just downloaded and attempted to install fptex-0_3beta1.
(I had previously installed the web2c for win32 package, which I
obtained from CTAN, in the form of several zip files, last
September. I presume fptex is basically the same thing.)
Having removed my previous installation to a safe place, I
clicked on fptex-0_3beta1.exe and attempted to follow the
instructions. I asked for WinEdt to be installed, and the installation
said it was installing it, but I can't find it. (In fact, I
don't want it, because I use TextPad instead, but I wanted to
see again what WinEdt is like.)
A bigger problem is that there doesn't seem to be a tex.exe!
There is a latex.exe, which no doubt should be identical with
tex.exe, but when I click on it it complains that there is no
tex.dll. I tried putting the tex.dll from mt old installation
there, but it is not compatible with the new stuff.
Is it true that essential stuff is missing from the package?

At the end of the installation it asks if I want to read the
documentation, but when I choose yes Netscape tries to find
a server called %1  -- obviously there is some minor error here.

Bob Howlett

(P.S. I can't really see why all the executables are put in a
subdirectory of \TeX\bin called win32 instead of directly in
\TeX\bin.  There isn't anything else in \TeX\bin.  My system
is, after all, a win32 system; surely win32 goes without saying!
(In my old installation I had gone to some trouble to eliminate
this unnecessary extra layer, and I shall do so again.)