...(fptex, etc.) and Dvips

Staszek Wawrykiewicz StaW@gust.org.pl
Thu, 24 Sep 1998 22:13:57 +0200 (MET DST)

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@is.elta.co.il> wrote:

> On Thu, 24 Sep 1998, Staszek Wawrykiewicz wrote:
> > 3. fptex-1.0-bin1: config.ps
> >       % How to print.
> >       o |lpr
> >    is hardly usable on win32 (as well on other systems ;-)
>
> The DJGPP port of dvips actually groks this: when the program (in this
> case `lpr') after the `|' is nowhere to be found, it goes ahead and
> writes to the local printer device "PRN" instead.

I do not mean at all sending the output to lpr, lp, PRN etc.
1. only the few of users have PS printer, I think;
2. most of us use TeX->Dvips-> _previewing_ with Gv (GSview, ps_view) ->
   and finally printing (using again GS engine).
So it would be nice having it just percented out, as well as not
allowing partial dowloading of fonts by default (option j0 included in
config.ps).
Some (happy) users can then change `o' and `j0' options in their
local files. That's all clear and natural, I hope.

There is also another declaration missing in config.ps
At the very end it should be added:

@ unknown 0in 0in
@+ statusdict /setpageparams known { hsize vsize 0 1 statusdict begin {
@+ setpageparams } stopped end } { true } ifelse { statusdict /setpage known
@+ { hsize vsize statusdict begin { setpage } stopped pop end } if } if

It is sometimes needed for preparing work for some typesetters, setting
papersize in TeX file or for preparing eps file.
I do not know why it was removed from config.ps distributed nowadays
everywhere. It doesn't hurt having it here and in some very special cases
it is really needed, believe me.

Staszek Wawrykiewicz
email: staw@gust.org.pl