...(fptex, etc.) and Dvips

Eli Zaretskii eliz@is.elta.co.il
Sun, 27 Sep 1998 13:06:02 +0300 (IDT)

On Thu, 24 Sep 1998, Staszek Wawrykiewicz wrote:

> I do not mean at all sending the output to lpr, lp, PRN etc.
> 1. only the few of users have PS printer, I think;
> 2. most of us use TeX->Dvips-> _previewing_ with Gv (GSview, ps_view) ->
>    and finally printing (using again GS engine).
> So it would be nice having it just percented out

I'm not sure this is the right thing to do.  Many people *do* have a
PS printer available from the machine where they run TeX and dvips.  I
don't think your situation with using GS is typical.

The original config.ps sends the output to the default printer, so the
DJGPP port does the same.  If you think that it is wrong to send the
output to the printer by default on *any* system, you should ask the
dvips/web2c maintainer(s) to change that.  Otherwise, I think it's
wrong to have the defaults for Win32 to be different from those on
Unix.  Customizing an installation should be left to the user.