windvi 0.55 (fptex, etc.)

Staszek Wawrykiewicz StaW@gust.org.pl
Thu, 24 Sep 1998 04:46:35 +0200 (MET DST)

Hello Fabrice,

Great, your tests are displayed perfectly! Even with 256 color display.
The only problem:
(null): shell escape disallowed for special "`jpeg2ps -r 0 -h fab.jpg"
so your face can't be seen (jpeg2ps.exe was of course copied to PATH).
However... when I overwrote binaries with the contents from
fptex-1.0-bin1.zip, opening wtest.dvi just close the session of windvi.
`normal' files, like Knuth's tripman are proceeded well.

Some observed things, if you like.

1. Log window: when copied to e.g. Notepad and then saved to file there
   is no any newline characters, so how can I send you the contents? ;-)
   It also would be nice removing non active X button since you prefer
   `Dismiss' bar.
2. mktexlsr run in the current directory always make ls-R here, apart of
   making it in TEXMFMAIN and TEMFLOCAL. Then I have so many ls-R files
   everywhere.
   Also the message from mktexpk (log window) always displays:
   VARTEXFONTS not defined. Defaulting to g:\xxx\yyy\zzz (the current)
   It seems somehow missleading, since fonts are generated and properly
   put in TEXMFMAIN/fonts/pk/etc.
3. fptex-1.0-bin1: config.ps
      % How to print.
      o |lpr
   is hardly usable on win32 (as well on other systems ;-)
   I think, most users do not have PS printer and use just GS (by the way,
   much more reliable then many ps printers).
   This line should be percented out in _every_ distribution, thus
   defaulting to make ps file.
   Moreover: there is no j0 option included in config.ps (fortunately
   it is on TeX Live). As I tested, leaving partial downloading of fonts
   enabled (not documented at all!) leads to strange results. Just
   try to process a file with 2 differently encoded fonts (using reencoding
   vector or vf).

It is again so late night, greetings,
**StaW
Ps1. Yesterday I observed great redundance on our mailing-list. Would it
be configured to replay to the list, not to `From' with Cc to fptex. Thanks.
Ps2. The problem with documentations discussed here so vividly can be seen
after loading windvi.pdf or win32.pdf into GSview2.5 (with "old" GS 5.10),
windvi.html in netscape, or previewing some letters on this list...
Please do not consider this words as malices, I'm only worrying that
clean and exact information is more and more hard to obtain in this
mouse crowded world...

Staszek Wawrykiewicz
email: staw@gust.org.pl