Read-only fpTeX etc

Jonas Bofjall Jonas Bofjall <job@abc.se>
Thu, 8 Oct 1998 22:56:28 +0200 (MET DST)

First, thanks a lot Fabrice for the work you have done on this
distribution. It has saved me very much work and it looks perfecly
like the teTeX I am used to. Thank you!

I have set up an fpTeX system on a read-only networked file system for a
number of NT workstations. The problem here is that I can't possibly
generate pixel fonts for any possible size of the metafonts, so I set it
up using Type-1 as far as possible (just added them to psfonts.map).
(This does also mean that I haven't installed any .dvi-viewer, the users
have to dvips the files and view in ghostview instead. I don't feel this
as a problem since these are fast Pentium-class machines). What do you
think of this type of installation? Is it the right thing to do?

Now all faces does not exist as Type-1, especially the Text Companion
fonts are missing, and some obscure ones too (at least from BaKoMa), so
it struck me that all users have some sort of write access to the c:/temp
directory of their workstations local disk. How do I set up maketexpk and
all related programs to use c:/temp as the place to store pk-fonts?

  // Jonas <job@abc.se> [2:201/262.37]