[edutex] TeX teaching

J C tau2128 at hotmail.com
Fri Jul 28 01:36:43 CEST 2017

Hi Boris,

Right off the bat, I suspect that sponsorships would be the way to go. It seems that many TeX users are affiliated with companies or universities who benefit from a tax write off or being able to mention their role in community/education outreach. Ultimately, it would be very nice to be able to provide a sponsored trip for a first place winner, and for them to receive some kind of framed copy of their submission.

For the content of the competition, I like to think of TeX as being used to produce beautiful, or at least precise, documents. Perhaps inaugural years of the proposed competition, you could have an open ended call for competition: Produce a document that conveys <x,y, z characteristics of a beautiful document>, such that (a) the final product, if printed, does not exceed letter paper size; (b)

In contest wording, it would be important to allow the flexibility for a contestant to typeset a written composition, such as a one-page essay about the history of typesetting, or for a contestant to create a more abstract piece...

Regarding judging, I would suggest that contestants provide source first to ensure that the product was produced in TeX and second to assess innovative or otherwise favorable uses.

Let's discuss this further to see where it can go.

// J.C. Claudio :: UCSD Class of 2003