[edutex] TeX teaching

Boris Veytsman borisv at lk.net
Tue Jul 25 03:25:37 CEST 2017

JC> From: J C <tau2128 at hotmail.com>
JC> Date: Mon, 24 Jul 2017 22:03:27 +0000

JC> After thinking about the conversation, perhaps rather than (or as
JC> an alternative to?) a certification, I suggest a new-user and/or
JC> student competition. From my end of the public school (Oak Grove
JC> High School, San Jose, California) spectrum, I feel like my
JC> colleagues would not find value in being TeX certified and this
JC> would not improve our membership numbers or quality. A student
JC> competition, however, would involve teachers or mentors seeking
JC> out students who would already be willing to learn and produce
JC> some document to specifications using TeX, hence actually
JC> fostering a fondness for it rather than a sense of obligation.

Jennifer, I think this is not an alternative, but an addition to
certification - or, rather, a completely different, but promising
topic.

I was thinking for quite some time about student competitions.  I
could try to fundraise for some prizes, like discounts for TUG
conferences - or, if we find a good sponsor, paid trip for the winners
to TUG.  What baffles me is, what kind of a competition we can make?
What are the tasks?  If there are ideas about this, let us discuss
them.

--
Good luck

-Boris

Federal grants are offered for... research into the recreation
potential of interplanetary space travel for the culturally disadvantaged.