[edutex] TeX teaching

J C tau2128 at hotmail.com
Tue Jul 25 00:03:27 CEST 2017

Hello all and Boris,

After thinking about the conversation, perhaps rather than (or as an alternative to?) a certification, I suggest a new-user and/or student competition. From my end of the public school (Oak Grove High School, San Jose, California) spectrum, I feel like my colleagues would not find value in being TeX certified and this would not improve our membership numbers or quality. A student competition, however, would involve teachers or mentors seeking out students who would already be willing to learn and produce some document to specifications using TeX, hence actually fostering a fondness for it rather than a sense of obligation.

If we are still interested in the certification route, I would be unable to produce modules or training guides at this point, but I would be happy to be a guinea pig in testing it to let the producers know how much time it actually ends up taking me and my potential successes with it.

// J.C. Claudio :: UCSD Class of 2003