[biblio] bst, format.name$, initials and tie (~)

Matteo Gamboz gamboz at medialab.sissa.it
Thu Jul 2 18:56:09 CEST 2020

Hi,
I would like to report a behavior of the function format.name$ that I
think is a bit strange.

When using
... {f} format.name$
the system applies the string ".~" between the initials (if there is
more than one initial).

However that string is inserted only after the first initial and before
the last one, and the initials in the "middle" ones are separated by the
string ". " (with a space, not with tie).

E.g. (with authors such as "Lastname, Aaaa", "Lastname, Aaaa Bbbb",...):
A.~B
A.~B.~C
A.~B. C.~D
A.~B. C. D.~E
A.~B. C. D. E.~F

To reproduce, please save the attached files in the same folder and run
`bibtex test`

Something similar happens if one replaces "{f}" with "{ff}" in min.bst:
the "~" is only between the last two first-names.

If was expecting "A.~B.~C.~D" (with the ~ everywhere), but if the
current behavior is the expected one, I humbly ask the rationale :)

Thank you and best regards
Matteo