[accessibility] Designating header cells in tables

Jason White jason at jasonjgw.net
Sat Apr 2 00:16:26 CEST 2022

On 1/4/22 16:23, Ulrike Fischer wrote:

> Ask the Lwarp author what he can support here. It shouldn't be
> difficult to switch the row type after some trigger command.

Thank you for the suggestion.

I ran a quick test with TeX4ht, which also produced TD elements only -
at least for the example which I tried.

However, the screen reader with which I evaluated the output recognized
the table. On the other hand, it didn't read the header cells while
navigating among the body cells. This is unsurprising, of course, as the
headers weren't designated as such.

Thus the results were somewhat better with TeX4ht, but it still seems to
me that having means of marking up header cells for purposes of HTML
conversion would be useful. I don't remember whether tagged PDF (at
least with the standardized element set) distinguishes between header
and body cells in a table.