[accessibility] Current packages and methods of generating tagged PDF from LaTeX

Jason White jason at jasonjgw.net
Wed Jun 26 17:03:25 CEST 2019

Dear TeX accessibility community,

I am a user of braille and speech-based assistive technologies. I work in
accessibility professionally. I often write documents in LaTeX, and they
need to be as accessible as possible. It is usually feasible, of course, to
generate HTML versions alongside the PDF, as is my preferred option.

However, some venues only accept PDF files. I've found various links to
LaTeX packages and conference presentations on work that has been done to
create tagged PDF from LaTeX.

What's currently the best approach? I can also offer to test new tools as
they become available. My documents don't contain mathematical notation, so
proper tagging of the document structures would suffice.