[accessibility] Current packages and methods of generating tagged PDF from LaTeX

Ulrike Fischer fischer at troubleshooting-tex.de
Wed Jun 26 17:50:56 CEST 2019

> I am a user of braille and speech-based assistive technologies. I
> work in accessibility professionally. I often write documents in
> LaTeX, and they need to be as accessible as possible. It is usually
> feasible, of course, to generate HTML versions alongside the PDF, as is my preferred option.

> However, some venues only accept PDF files. I’ve found various
> links to LaTeX packages and conference presentations on work that
> has been done to create tagged PDF from LaTeX.

> What’s currently the best approach? I can also offer to test new
> tools as they become available. My documents don’t contain
> mathematical notation, so proper tagging of the document structures would suffice.

Well I naturally would suggest that you try out my package tagpdf.

I'm quite interested in feedback, and I'm quite willing to help to use
it in concrete documents (and to repair problems that appear).

The main thing that currently is not working well (beside math (which you
don't need)) are links. There exist experimental code, but while
investigating the structure needed here we (the latex team) realized
that the latex core needs tools for pdf resource management and we are
currently working on it.

Be aware that tagpdf works best with lualatex.

Ulrike Fischer