TeX Live 2019 - bugs and updates
Most of TeX Live is a redistribution of packages and programs from
elsewhere, primarily CTAN. So, the target for
bug reports varies according to the nature of the problem.
- If you have problems with a TeX document, e.g., a package is no
longer behaving as it used to, report it to the package maintainer. As
a rule, package-specific fixes are not installed directly in TL (new
versions of packages should be uploaded to CTAN), or made by TL
- If you have questions about using TeX, or need help with TeX, please
use the general help resources.
- To report a bug in TeX Live installation or infrastructure,
email the tex-live mailing
Highlights of changes
in this release; details for
If you need to use alternate binaries, the custom binary support in the TL installer may
Known issues in TeX Live 2019
Bug archives for the previous
release and earlier
years remain online.
As always, there are pervasive updates to packages and programs.
We can't list them all, but here are major user-visible changes in
the principal programs:
- kpathsea (full Kpathsea news)
- More consistent brace expansion and path splitting
(details in the Kpathsea manual); new variable
TEXMFDOTDIR instead of hardwired . in paths allows for
easily searching additional or sub-directories (comments in
- New primitives \readpapersizespecial and \expanded.
- luatex (full LuaTeX news)
- Lua 5.3 now used, with concomitant arithmetic and interface changes.
- The homegrown library pplib is used to read pdf files, thus
eliminating the dependency on poppler (and the need for C++);
Lua interface changed accordingly.
- metapost (full MetaPost news)
- r-mpost command name recognized as an
alias for invocation with the --restricted option, and added to
the list of restricted commands available by default.
- Minimum precision now 2 for decimal and binary mode.
- Binary mode no longer available in MPlib but still available in
- pdftex (full pdfTeX news)
- New primitive \expanded; if new primitive parameter
\pdfomitcharset is set to 1, the /CharSet string
omitted from the PDF output, since it cannot feasibly be guaranteed
correct, as required by PDF/A-2 and PDF/A-3.
- xetex (full XeTeX news)
- New primitives \expanded,
\randomseed; extend \Ucharcat to produce active
characters. More in the XeTeX
- tlmgr (full tlmgr news)
- Support curl as a download program;
use lz4 and gzip before xz for backups, if available;
prefer system-provided binaries over TL-provided binaries for
compressor and download programs, unless the environment variable
TEXLIVE_PREFER_OWN is set.
- New option -gui (with no argument) is the default on
Windows and Macs, and invokes a new Tcl/TK GUI, as described above.
- x86_64-darwin now supports 10.12 and higher
(Sierra, High Sierra, Mojave); x86_64-darwinlegacy supports 10.6
and newer. The spell checker Excalibur is no longer included, since it
requires 32-bit support.
- cwebbin is now
the CWEB implementation in TeX Live, with support for more language
dialects, and including the ctwill program to make mini-indexes.
- chkdvifont: report font information from DVI files, also
from tfm/ofm, vf, gf, pk.
- dvispc: make a DVI file page-independent wrt specials.
- Removed sparc-solaris.
$Date: 2019/07/04 16:31:46 $;