[XeTeX] How to make some pdf with xetex from commandline?

Kārlis Repsons karlis.repsons at gmail.com
Sat Nov 28 16:06:38 CET 2009

Hi all,
just installed all of the latest texlive tree and now find myself in confusion
about how to actually use xetex?! Perhaps it would be better to first make it
work from console and then with Kile?
Maybe its really just simple, but, for example, $ xelatex main.tex outputs
lots of text including:

"
! Package pdftex.def Error: Option `pdftex' requires pdfTeX,
(pdftex.def)                but pdfTeX features are missing.
(pdftex.def)                Loading of this driver file is aborted.
"

Its on default install, I've updated $PATH to include texlive/2009/bin/x86_64-
linux (absolute path of course!)... Couldn't figure out any soon... Isn't
pdftex part of texlive file tree?
Anyone willing to help me out with this?