[XeTeX] Underline thickness and position for Type1

Yannis Haralambous yannis.haralambous at telecom-bretagne.eu
Sat May 16 17:55:20 CEST 2009

I have used underlining in critical editions for various reasons. I
used underlin.sty which works great (it allows hyphenation and
underlines interword spaces).

I would like to react to what I think you're saying. Are you saying
that each font should have its own underline width and depth?

I'm not sure this is a good choice. I wouldn't a word in bold to have
a heavier and deeper underline than a word in plain style next to it.
I would prefer to have the same underline parameters for a give font
size, regardless of the font.

Of course it would be only fair to let the font designer specify what
(s)he considers as the ideal width and depth, so maybe a good
compromise would be to take the parameters of the dominant font and
apply them to all fonts.

What do you think?