[XeTeX] Underline thickness and position for Type1

Pander pander at users.sourceforge.net
Sat May 16 18:04:49 CEST 2009

Yannis Haralambous wrote:
> I have used underlining in critical editions for various reasons. I used
> underlin.sty which works great (it allows hyphenation and underlines
> interword spaces).
>
> I would like to react to what I think you're saying. Are you saying that
> each font should have its own underline width and depth?

Nope, I just cam across these settings in Type1 fonts. they have been
added there by the type designer already and was wondering why XeTeX is
not able to use them and if XeTeX should be able to (default behaviour
or not) use them.

If you run pfb2pfa on a bunch of pfb files you will see the different
settings. They even differs within a font family (different values for
the bold, italic, etc.).