[XeTeX] Re:Re: Croping PDF and Fonts in Math!

Suki Venkat, [TnQ] skvenkat at tnq.co.in
Thu Oct 13 17:01:51 CEST 2005

Hi,

> Do you mean you want a command that "magically" crops the PDF to the
> bounding box of what is actually drawn on the page? No, there's no
> such option at the moment.

  I used to magically obtain cropped-PDFs from EPS files (obtained by dvips -E option)
  by using ghostscript ps2pdf utility.

> Actually, it's not that simple: there are many versions of Times New
> Roman. For several years, the versions shipped with Windows have
> included a much more extensive character set. I believe if you have
> the latest MS Office for OS X, that also includes a TNR with a larger
> character inventory, probably supporting Greek, but earlier versions
> (including Office X) had a Latin-only Times New Roman.
>
> JK

Thanks! You are right. I didn't think of that possibility. There was a
old version sticking somewhere in the system (I hate that thing called
FontBook!). I kicked all the old ones to Trash and copied the new one
into systems/fonts folder. Now it works!
But the font is called by different names by different applications:
"Times New Roman" but "TimesNewRomanPSMT" in the PDF and if I cut it
from Acrobat Reader and put it in OpenOffice writer in Fedora Linux it
turns-up as "ZLQPTI+TimesNewRomanPSMT" but all the UTF-8 characters
intact. Thats nice!

Suki