[XeTeX] Re:Re: Croping PDF and Fonts in Math!

Jonathan Kew jonathan_kew at sil.org
Thu Oct 13 10:21:24 CEST 2005

On 13 Oct 2005, at 8:07 am, Suki Venkat, [TnQ] wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Thanks everyone for the help!
> Now I can do Math in Arial (see files attached).
>
> What I really was looking for crop-PDF is some kind of:
>
> xdv2pdf -croppdf foo.xdv -o foo.pdf
>
> command ... which I suppose is not there.

Do you mean you want a command that "magically" crops the PDF to the
bounding box of what is actually drawn on the page? No, there's no
such option at the moment.

The -p (paper size) option will make a PDF of any size you like, but
you have to specify the size explicitly.

> Attached is a new.tex file in UTF-8 encoding in which XeTeX PDF
> (new.pdf) doesn't show up some Greek characters
> Is this a bug in XeTeX or a bug in "Times New Roman" or a bug
> in ... (I
> did try to reinstall the font many times)?

Times New Roman is a Latin-script font, and doesn't include Greek
characters.

Actually, it's not that simple: there are many versions of Times New
Roman. For several years, the versions shipped with Windows have
included a much more extensive character set. I believe if you have
the latest MS Office for OS X, that also includes a TNR with a larger
character inventory, probably supporting Greek, but earlier versions
(including Office X) had a Latin-only Times New Roman.