[XeTeX] XeTeX 0.96 released

Jonathan Kew jonathan_kew at sil.org
Thu Oct 13 17:58:31 CEST 2005

For those who like to live on the bleeding edge, I have just released
XeTeX 0.96 on the web site <http://scripts.sil.org/xetex> and via my
i-Installer repository.

This version should be able to run on OS X 10.2.x (Jaguar), in
addition to newer systems; however, my facilities for testing are
minimal, so no guarantees. Reports of success (or otherwise) welcome.

xdv2pdf has support for a new \special{x:papersize=....} feature that
can set the PDF media size from within the document, which has been a
repeated request. This \special recognizes the same paper names as
the -papersize command-line argument to xetex (or the -p argument to
xdv2pdf). Alternatively, use a comma-separated pair of dimensions for
width and height. For compatibility with dvips/dvipdfm/etc, it can
also be written as \special{papersize=...}, which means that
geometry.sty, for example, should work "out of the box".

The paper size can be changed on the fly, not only at the beginning
of the document; but if there is already "ink" on the page by the
time you use the \special (beware of the headline, etc!), then you'll
get a warning and it will not take effect until the NEXT page.

Dick, it would be good to get this into the MacTeX package, ideally
*after* verifying that it actually works on machines other than my
own system!