[XeTeX] MathTime fonts

Jonathan Kew jonathan_kew at sil.org
Sat Sep 4 22:59:33 CEST 2004

On 4 Sep 2004, at 8:37 pm, Bruno Voisin wrote:

> The problem with LaTeX is (1) that LaTeX uses alternative font names
> (Karl Berry's scheme) and (2) that its use of PostScript fonts through
> the PSNFSS package is based entirely on virtual fonts, that XeTeX does
> not handle. A possible solution would be to use not the default T1 (ie
> Cork) encoding of LaTeX, but the alternative LY1 (ie TeX 'n ANSI)
> encoding from Y&Y. An advantage of LY1 is that no virtual fonts are
> required. Compare for example the two lines from psfonts.map:
>
> 	hlcbt8r LucidaTypewriterBold " TeXBase1Encoding ReEncodeFont "
> <8r.enc <lbtb.pfb
> 	hlcbt8y LucidaTypewriterBold " TeXnANSIEncoding ReEncodeFont "
> <texnansi.enc <lbtb.pfb
>
> The first line creates from LBTB a re-encoded font in TeXBase1
> encoding, and the virtual font mechanism converts this font later to
> one in T1 encoding (with metrics name ending in 8t). On the other
> hand, for LY1 (corresponding to the second line), the reencoding is
> done once and for good, and no virtual fonts are involved.
>
> But that, in any case, would only work in XeTeX if XeTeX could deal
> with re-encoded fonts as specified in psfonts.map.

XeTeX does deal with re-encoded fonts as specified in psfonts.map,
using .enc files, but ONLY if the .otf font includes a 'post' table
that gives the glyph names. I don't believe simply converting
.pfb->.otf with either FontForge or FontLab provides this; for the CM
and other fonts that I bundle with XeTeX, I added the appropriate
'post' table to the .otf fonts using Apple's font tool suite.

This is an area that still needs further work and proper documentation.