[XeTeX] Re: MathTime fonts

Paul Edney edney at northwestern.edu
Sat Sep 4 23:02:42 CEST 2004

>  > First things first: the configuration I'm using, in the order it was
>>  (fresh-)installed.
>>    teTex 2.0.2-36, installed by fink
>>    TeX, from Gerben Wierda's TUG mirror, installer by i-installed
>>    TeX Support: Super-CM, from Gerben Wierda's TUG mirror, installed by
>>  i-installer
>>    XeTeX 0.85, from Jonathan Kew's i-directory, installed by i-installer
>>    TeXshop 1.35b
>
>Sounds like you have two complete TeX installations there; Fink's and
>Gerben's. I'd be a little worried about possible confusion, but the
>terminal output you show later looks as though you're actually running
>Gerben's setup, and the Fink stuff is ignored.

Perhaps I should remove the fink one anyway.  I initially installed
it for some other GNU package, but perhaps I can symlink the fink one
to Gerben's.  But I'd rather change only one thing at a time for now.

>How did you generate .otf files from the .pfb ones? Creating .otf files
>that will work right with XeTeX can be a bit of a hassle, and I haven't
>gotten everything documented nicely yet. (Sorry!)
>
>Did you do this for the CM fonts (if so, why? the XeTeX installer
>should have provided them), or only for the MathTime ones?

I converted the mac font using CMacTeX's 'lwfn2pfb' script. This
conversion seems to work fine, as these fonts do render in LaTeX, but
are 'not found' in XeTeX.  To convert them to otf, I opened the .pfb
files (mtex.pfb, mtsy.pfb, and rmtmi.pfb) in fontforge and generated
the Open Type (CFF) with an .otf extension.  I also tried Open Type
(Mac Font) and removed the '.dfont' part of the '.otf.dfont'
extension.  With the Mac Font version, XeTeX reports 'not found' and
the display is completely blank (no +,-, and parentheses here).

I didn't touch the CM fonts at all. Only the 3 mathtime fonts I
mentionned above.

>  > Then I ran
>  > xetex -no-pdf testfile.tex
>[snip]
>  > Output written on testfile.xdv (1 page, 2144 bytes).
>  > Transcript written on testfile.log.
>  >
>  > No font errors here,
>
>Looks fine; so it found the right .tfm files, just like regular
>LaTeX....

Pardon my ignorance, but I didn't generate or move any .tfm files.
In fact, when I didn't have the .otf (CFF) fonts, XeTeX reported
'font not found'.  And when I replaced the otf (CFF) with the otf
(Mac Font), I got the 'not found' message again.  Does XeTeX only
search for the .tfm if it succeeds in finding a 'decent' otf?
Somehow I thought tfm's were used before otf's (as in tex before
dvipdf).

>So it's finding the .otf files you installed...
>
>>  Activated, but I still get a blank output (aside from the few lines).
>
>...but not finding the actual glyphs you want.
>

>Could you check your psfonts.map file and tell me what the actual
>entries for these fonts look like? I don't have the Mathtime fonts and
>so I'm not in a position to try and duplicate your exact setup.

kpsewhich psfonts.map
/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.local/fonts/map/dvips/updmap/psfonts.map

then grep on psfonts.map for 'mtex', 'mtsy', and 'rmtmi':
MTEX MTEX <mtex.pfb
mtex MTEX <mtex.pfb
MTSY MTSY <mtsy.pfb
mtsy MTSY <mtsy.pfb
RMTMI RMTMI <rmtmi.pfb
rmtmi RMTMI <rmtmi.pfb

there is no explicit encoding, as in, for example:
cmtex10 CMTEX10 " TeXd9b29452Encoding ReEncodeFont " <d9b29452.enc <cmtex10.pfb

I'm guessing (very wildly) from Bruno's message below that this
reencoding step might have an effect.  Btw, Bruno, I used to use
mathtime on textures through ATM, so the fonts were never in the
system folder.  But why would TeX search the classic folder for fonts
in the first place?  Did I misunderstand you?  Should I _also_ copy
the original mathtime fonts to the system folder, or at least
activate them with fontbook?

Also, could Bruno's note about the hybrid mathtime explain why +, -,
\ldots, and parentheses (of all sizes) render, but nothing else?

>  > What really puzzles me is that in TeXshop, LaTeX handles mathtime like
>  > a charm, whereas XeTeX doesn't.  Don't they read from the same
>  > texmf.local tree?
>
>They do, and they're both handling things fine at the typesetting
>stage, I think (using the .TFM files); but when it comes to actually
>rendering glyphs, they're relying on quite different versions of the
>fonts.

so technically it would be incorrect to think
XeTeX = ( LaTeX + additional_font_engines ), right?

>  > I must be missing the obvious here. Can anyone please help, or provide
>  > a reference to RTFM?
>
>There is no Fine Manual for XeTeX, I'm afraid; just the web pages, the
>XeTeX-notes file (included among the sample files), and the archives of
>this mailing list. Some day, perhaps, that'll change.....
>Jonathan

Thanks for your help and patience,

--Paul