[tlbuild] wget&xz

Richard Koch koch at uoregon.edu
Fri Apr 8 05:27:10 CEST 2016

Mojca,

I took your first idea, which is miraculous. By just renaming
pod2man, the configure script for wget thinks it is missing
entirely and builds just fine. As you point out, pod2man
seems to be used only to make man pages.

So xz and wget built on Macintosh (all platforms) and
I am about to send it to Karl. Many, many thanks.

As for the binary scripts in general, Karl and I experimented
a little last year and came to the conclusion that nothing
can be done. I compile in the absolutely standard way by
calling .Build. I compile four times, but only use three sets
of binaries:

	Mac Pro PPC for ppc binaries
	Macbook Pro Intel on Leopard for 32 bit Intel binaries
	Macbook Pro Intel on Snow Leopard for 64 bit Intel binaries
	Mac Pro Intel on El Capitan for curiosity

I believe you are others hope to use md5 or another checksum
to see if the binaries have changed. But if I remember correctly,
experiments with Karl last year show that the object code can
change from compile to compile when compiling exactly the
same source on exactly the same system. So compiles are not
deterministic (!!).

Thanks again for the help with wget.

Dick Koch