[tlbuild] wget&xz

Mojca Miklavec mojca.miklavec.lists at gmail.com
Fri Apr 8 03:32:47 CEST 2016

On 8 April 2016 at 01:07, Richard Koch wrote:
> Karl,
>
> On the Macintosh,  I can build xz and xzdec.
>
> However, wget only compiles on El Capitan,
> which I don’t use for TeX Live production code. On the production
> systems, I get the following error:
>
> Making all in doc
> ./texi2pod.pl -D VERSION="1.17.1" ./wget.texi wget.pod
> /usr/bin/pod2man --center="GNU Wget" --release="GNU Wget 1.17.1" --utf8 wget.pod > wget.1
> Unknown option: utf8
> make[2]: *** [wget.1] Error 1
> make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
> make: *** [all] Error 2
>
> I can trace this down, but at the risk of producing a wget not
> compatible with the one used by TeX Live. I could also
> use the previous wget. Or do nothing. ???

Can you try to temporary remove /usr/bin/pod2man (or install a newer
version)? Alternatively you could remove that flag from
Makefile.[in|am]. This is only responsible for building the man page,
I doubt it has any influence on the resulting binary.

The developers seem to have handled the case of the missing program,
but not the case of the program being too old. I'm sure you could file
a bug report to fix this, but maybe that simple trick would do it for
now. I didn't test anything, I just checked what's in configure.ac.

The program doesn't compile out of the box on Solaris / GCC 5 either,
but I deleted the offending line in the sources and kept compiling.