[tlbuild] 2014 and Solaris 10 and 11 (SPARC, x86, x86-64)

Mojca Miklavec mojca.miklavec.lists at gmail.com
Wed Mar 19 21:24:17 CET 2014

On Wed, Mar 19, 2014 at 4:12 PM, Nelson H. F. Beebe wrote:
> Last year, I never once succeeded in getting TeX Live 2013 to build on
> any of our flavors of Sun/Oracle Solaris:
>
>         Solaris 10 (SPARC, x86, x86-64)
>         Solaris 11 (x86)
>
> The previous year (2012), I succeeded, and I added new installed bin
> subdirectories, because the Solaris binaries distributed on the DVD
> were built on Solaris 11, and do not run on Solaris 10.
>
> Last year, someone on this list DID succeed in getting Solaris builds,
> and the 2013 DVD has them.  Could that person, or persons, please
> report on this list the magic settings of PATH, and configure and make
> options, that led to success for Solaris?  I'll then take a crack at
> trying to reproduce that on our systems here at Utah.

On Sparc Solaris 10 I managed to successfully compile the binaries using:

export CC=/opt/csw/bin/gcc-4.8
export CXX=/opt/csw/bin/g++-4.8
TL_MAKE=gmake nohup ./Build --disable-luajittex >& ../build.out &

> echo $PATH
/usr/bin:/usr/sbin:/sbin:/usr/ccs/bin:/usr/dt/bin:/usr/openwin/bin:/opt/SUNWspro/bin:/opt/bop/bin:/opt/csw/bin:/usr/sfw/bin:/usr/sfw/sbin

I also needed a trivial patch which will hopefully be included in the
next ICU release, see
    http://bugs.icu-project.org/trac/ticket/10580.

I needed to choose a newer gcc in order to be able to compile ICU
which requires a flag --std=c++0x.