[tlbuild] Building xindy for TL2010: two questions

Nikola Lečić nikola.lecic at anthesphoria.net
Wed Jun 9 03:15:23 CEST 2010

On Wed, 09 Jun 2010 04:51:08 +0400
  in 87mxv5t4eb.fsf at vvv.org.vrn.ru
  Vladimir Volovich <vvv at vsu.ru> wrote:

> "NL" == Nikola Lečić writes:
>
>  >> Probably we should simply distribute the generated files as part
>  >> of xindy's source, LaTeX inputenc files don't change any more.
>  >> That's similar to distributing C files that got generated by lex.
>
>  NL> (Peter has already done a similar thing -- i.e. included
>  NL> generated files into the trunk -- to avoid problems with less
>  NL> powerful iconv and buggy recode behaviour on FreeBSD...)
>
> alternatively, and imho better, would have been to pass
> --disable-xindy-rules to xindy's configure during texlive build.
> texlive builders just pass the generated binaries to the master tree,
> and all secondary files generated during the build are discarded
> anyway.

Hm, didn't know that possibility. Peter's reaction to my report is in
r16701 and r16702. It's interesting to see what he thinks about
--disable-xindy-rules.

> btw, is "recode" package really buggy on FreeBSD?
> i.e. --with-xindy-recode doesn'y allow to fully rebuild xindy?

Exactly, it was impossible to build xindy with recode, xindy-2.4pre2
for the truth's sake (that's the last version I tested before Peter's
intervention). The exact behaviour is described in this post of mine:

  http://tug.org/pipermail/tlbuild/2010q1/001238.html

I have never investigated this deeper nor reported it to recode
FreeBSD port maintainer. On Linux, recode behaved normally with the
same files, so I gave up. (Although, being FreeBSD porter myself, I
should do something... :-))

Best wishes,
--
Nikola Lečić = Никола Лечић
fingerprint : FEF3 66AF C90E EDC3 D878  7CDC 956D F4AB A377 1C9B