[texworks] Call for Help: Testing

Paul A Norman paul.a.norman at gmail.com
Mon Apr 18 23:47:51 CEST 2011

On 19 April 2011 03:36, Stefan Löffler <st.loeffler at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> thanks for the positive feedback.
>
> On 2011-04-18 13:35, Paul A Norman wrote:
> > Pdf previeew issue 91 ver767, awesome - just a comment in Windows, one
> > you double click and the other you left click - can both be made to
> > operate on either approach, the same approach, or a single click?  And
> > in the Text editor the line number one be activated as well (I just
> > discovered that the other two (CR-LF UTF-8) in the Text editor operate
> > off a left click - very useful).
>
> For me (Linux), it's right-clicking for all but the page.

Correct - right clicking.

> The reason for
> this is that they all open context menus (which are typically associated
> with a right-click). The page label, OTOH, initiates an action (namely
> opening the "Goto page" dialog), which would seem rather weird (to me,
> anyway) to be initiated by a right-click. Besides,

I seem to remember
> that several applications have a double-click activation on that
> (granted, most applications have an edit box there, but AFAIK this
> produces significant problems on the Mac due to its size).

As I recall it the general best practice under Windows and Mac is to try and
have similar looking components - especially when in proximity to each other
- activated in similar ways to avoid interface confusion or even the
possibility that a feature is left unknown to the user. Developers have
provided more than one means of activating such things in the past to avoid
missing people out. A single left click is the first course of action for
many users according to labs in the past.

Really relevant with these components being right beside eachother - in the
editor set - three in a row that look to the eye like the same  component -
in the pdf  preview two right beside each other.

One you right click, the other you double left click - a tad
 counter-intuitive.

Regarding the editor, I missed the line label. I'll try to remember it
> until I find time to fix it ;).

A lot of people will tend to just single  left click everything if they are
not sure / trying things out. Best way to catch them.

If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, quacks like a duck, its probably
a duck.
On Windows at least,  with their Qt shading, this component look more like a
button than anything else.

And a button you almost without exception left click.

> > I was looking
> > through http://code.google.com/p/texworks/source/list trying to
> > identify what else there was to check...
> >
> > Re-compression --
> >
> > I noticed http://code.google.com/p/texworks/source/detail?r=763#
> > Hasnlt helped us much yet, did another check on latest exe ...
>
> Yeah, it was just a first attempt, I didn't have time to look into this
> issue in detail yet. As far as (stable) releases are concerned, I'd
> prefer to go with uncompressed files, as they don't change that often
> (people don't have to download too much), hard disk space is not that
> limitted anymore these days (we're talking about 21MB) and speed is nice
> to have.

For "daily" testing builds, OTOH, I agree that size matters,
> and speed does not so much. Still, I'd like to investigate this first.

Its worth it, there are still considerable numbers of people in developing
countries who rely on speeds little better, or the same as dial up modems. I
know one man in the Philipines who has been unable to guarantee a connection
for ten minutes without it going down and requires reconnection, and have
seen people in Fiji even near main nodes, have to wait over an hour to
process a small raft of plain text emails.

Paul

Cheers,