[texhax] LaTeX fonts: How get Adobe Times for text with mtpro2 for math?

Murray Eisenberg murrayeisenberg at gmail.com
Wed Jun 8 18:51:37 CEST 2016

> On Jun 8, 2016, at 7:58 AM, Herbert Schulz <herbs at wideopenwest.com> wrote:
>
>> On Jun 7, 2016, at 4:19 PM, Herbert Schulz <herbs at wideopenwest.com> wrote:
>>
>>> On Jun 7, 2016, at 3:54 PM, Murray Eisenberg <murrayeisenberg at gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> In LaTeX, for math fonts I’m using mtpro2 (Math Time Pro 2). But that doesn’t alter the text font.
>>>
>>> The docs for mtpro2 say to use this in preamble to get Adobe Times for normal text:
>>>
>>> \usepackage[T1]{fontenc}
>>> \usepackage{textcomp}
>>> \renewcommand{\rmdefault}{ptm}
>>> \usepackage{mtpro2}
>>>
>>> However, when I examine with Adobe Reader the properties of the pdf produced from a document including that, it says the font is:
>>>
>>>  NimbusRopmNo9L-Regu
>>>
>>> What’s wrong?
>>
>> Howdy,
>>
>> How do you have the Adobe fonts pfb file named? Are you using the ADOBE naming convention, i.e., tir_____.pfb for Times Roman? If so add the line
>>
>> LW35 ADOBE
>> #! Map belleek.map
>>
>> to the top of your updmap.cfg file. Then run `updmap` again.
>>

> Here is the section about the LW35 parameter and the possible settings from the default updmap.cfg:
>
> # LW35
> #
> # Which fonts for the "Basic 35 Laserwriter Fonts" do you want to use and
> # how are the filenames chosen? Valid settings:
> #   URW:     URW fonts with "vendor" filenames (e.g. n019064l.pfb)
> #   URWkb:   URW fonts with "berry" filenames (e.g. uhvbo8ac.pfb)
> #   ADOBE:   Adobe fonts with "vendor" filenames (e.g. hvnbo___.pfb)
> #   ADOBEkb: Adobe fonts with  "berry" filenames (e.g. phvbo8an.pfb)
> #
> LW35 URWkb
>
> so URWkb is the default value and the other values should be set in you personal updmap.cfg.

Complication: I do have the Adobe Times font files tir_____.pfb, etc.; the Adobe Courier font files com_____.pfb, etc.; and the Adobe Helvetica font files hv______.pfb, etc..Also all the corresponding .pfm and .afm files.

But I do NOT seem to have the corresponding .tfm or .fd files.

How proceed?

Note: I did find this page http://spacehorn.com/osx/xtra/tnr.html which has a link do a .dmg that seems to provide .tfm and .fd files, but with a different naming scheme: pns.map;  pnsr8y.tfm, etc.; omspns.fd, etc.; and timesnewx.sty — and NO support included for Adobe Courier or Helvetica.

---
Murray Eisenberg			murrayeisenberg at gmail.com
503 King Farm Blvd #101	Home (240)-246-7240
Rockville, MD 20850-6667	Mobile (413)-427-5334