[texhax] delimeters and math accents

Lars Madsen daleif at imf.au.dk
Tue Dec 14 16:44:44 CET 2010

Steven Chapin wrote:
> On Dec 13, 2010, at 6:03 PM, Lars Madsen wrote:
>
>> On 2010-12-13 23:36, Steven Chapin wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I have tried to put various delimeters around accented math symbols
>>> in LaTeX, but I'm not very happy with the results.  For example,
>>> neither $[\overrightarrow{PQ}]$ nor
>>> $\left[\overrightarrow{PQ}\right]$ look very good to me.  If anyone
>>> can suggest a (hopefully reasonably simple) way to put delimeters
>>> around accented math symbols that looks better, I would greatly
>>> appreciate it.
>>>
>> have you tried scaling the fences manually?
>>
>> i.e. $\bigl[\overrightarrow{PQ}\bigr]$ or similar with one of the ither big sizes
>
> Thanks for your response.  Yes, I did experiment with different size fences.  I still can't get it to look very good, in my opinion.  If the fence extents to the top of the accent, then it extends too far below the symbol.  That is, I'd like to be able to "center" the fences better.
>
>> /daleif
>
> Steven Chapin
> Morton 541
> Ohio University
> Athens, Ohio
> http://www.math.ohiou.edu/~chapin

They are centered. It just does not look good if one starts to raise the
fences just because the height of the material is larger than the depth.

for example there is no reason to fully fencing a sum

\Big(\sum_{k} \dots \Big)

I usually enlarge the fences a little but does not extend it abot
accents etc. There is no need for it. We just need to fence it in the
horizontal sirection no the vertical

--

/daleif