[protext] Installing TeX

rade dimitric rdimitric at juno.com
Thu Jan 29 00:15:54 CET 2009

Dear Thomas,
Thank you for your response. I followed the instructions at the two web
places you found (change the mydocuments file characteristics by
unsetting "read only feature" without success, for I get exactly the same
message when I do try to install TeXnicCenter (MikTex seems to install
all the files from the CD, but to make it running it seems TexnicCenter
is needed which does not install (only its help file installs and the
message is the same: "Internal error:  failed to expand shell folder
constant 'userdocs' "

I do not know why this still persists. It may be that the settings for
"mydocuments" folder are fixed at some lower lever that I do not know how
to control. Namely when I unset the "read only" feature for the folder
(by the way I use Windows XP), it seems unset when I do "apply" and
"O.K." however when I open the folder settings afterwards it seems to be
in the "shaded" state it was in before (The read only rubric seems to
have 3 states: checked, unchecked and gray or shaded checked.. The latter
seems to be the default state that I uncheck to blank, but, as I said, it
subsequently return to the shaded checked state, when I revisit the
folder...  Frustrating!

Best
Rad