[protext] Installing TeX

Thomas Feuerstack Thomas.Feuerstack at FernUni-Hagen.de
Fri Jan 23 09:57:29 CET 2009

Hi Rad,

rade dimitric schrieb:
> I picked up the TUG CD at the last AMS/MAA meeting but installing is not
> (fully) working. All the files are loaded for MikTeX, the ghost and
> postcript viewers, the only problem is that I do not get the shortcuts
> either on the desktop or in the list of installed programs/files. Thus,
> when I run installation of TeXnicCenter for instance, when the program
> gets to "creating shortcuts" it gives me a message: "Internal error:
> failed to expand shell folder constant 'userdocs' "  This happens with
> installation of all MikTex, and the viewer programs, although I can
> manually create shortcuts for the viewers which seem to be working.
>
> I have a new laptop, plenty of hard disk space, 2Ghz, and 2gig RAM, XP as
> operating system. Could this have something to do with windows not
> letting the "intruders" in , or what is it?
> I had no problem installing old MikTex on another computer, when it was
> done more manually.
> Somebody can enlighten me?

i can't believe that the problem is caused by the way MiKTeX (and the
rest of the programs) is installed, which means you can also install it
manually by invoking the setup-routine directly in
yourCDdrive\MiKTeX\setup and act like you did before.

Nevertheless i feeded your error message into Google and found the
following notes which might solve your problem:

http://www.passmark.com/forum/showthread.php?t=932

http://www.genie-soft.com/asp/Community/KnowledgeArticle.asp?KBID=141

Give it a try and perhaps send a response to me, if it works.

Regards - Thomas