[pdftex] Pdflatex error: Bad metric (TFM) file

Ulrich Dirr ud at art-satz.de
Mon Aug 9 06:50:23 CEST 2004

Ryuji Suzuki wrote:
> So if the problem for which I got three gray hairs was like that, it
> raises a few questions...
>
> 1. is it easy to change pdftex? Making it so that Bad metric file is
>    only warned with non-fatal warning and does not stop using that
>    type may be good.
>
> 2. is it easy to explain what should be added or not added to the
>    tfm's made by otftotfm? I actually contacted Eddie Kohler about
>    this and other issues, and he is interested in fixing the prblem on
>    his part but he personally doesn't use pdflatex.
>
> The reason why 2 is not enough is that I have a few other fonts for
> which pdflatex complains about bad tfm files, which are created from
> afm or other formats. For these, pdftex needs to be modified, or a new
> program to fix those tfm files needs to be made.

I cannot confirm this. I've also created font metrics with otftotfm and
Adobe Jenson Pro and they work well with pdftex (and btw they have 0xc6 as
last byte, e.g., "otftotfm -et1etx --design-size=12 -fliga -fkern -fonum
-E1.020 -a AJensonPro-Regular.otf AJenPO+20").

The first step which seems logically to me is that you should investigate
how you can produce wrong tfms. You should check wether this also occurrs
on other os's. You can also try to use different versions of otftotfm.

Best regards,
Ulrich Dirr